TOMs shoes are quite popular because of their style and comfort. But can you wash them? After all, they’re bound to get dirty with use over time.
This is a great question, as TOMs are the perfect summer shoes. They’re durable and the company has a great impact on the world and has many styles available. Some would even argue that they’re more environmentally sustainable. But what happens if you step in mud or food falls on them? Fortunately, TOMs are canvas shoes and this makes them easy to wash. You can simply use a washing machine to clean them. However, there are a few guidelines. We have a few tips on properly cleaning them, especially stubborn stains. Additionally, it’s important to not use the dryer. The shape of the soles can become warped even on the lowest settings of the dryer.
Although cleaning your shoes is relatively straightforward, the proper tools are needed. One key action to do is to use a towel when cleaning in a washing machine.To prevent color bleeding, use a color that is a similar shade. If it your shoes are dark, use a dark color. If it’s light, use a lightly-colored towel. You can use an old towel if you’re concerned about your towel getting ruined, but this shouldn’t be an issue.
You might think: what will this towel do? Quite simply, the simple towel will prevent your TOMs shoes from bouncing around too much. If you don’t use one, there will be more collisions and they will be more intense. This could damage your washer.
You might not have a similarly colored towel. If you want, you can use a zippered pillow protector bag as well.
It might not seem like it but your shoes are objects with mass. Washers move with great velocity so it’s important to use padding when washing shoes.
Some stains are especially stubborn. While it might be easy to get mud off your shoes, how about something like buffalo sauce? If some got on your shoes, you can pre-treat the stain. This will make cleaning much more effective. It’s also easy to do and just requires some planning. Simply rub mild laundry detergent on the area of the shoe that has the stain. Let it sit for half an hour and you’re good to go.
For the washing machine, use a quarter of the amount you usually use. It’s a good idea to use natural soap. Harsh soaps can destroy fabric, cause the colors to run or ruin the soles. TOMs shoes aren’t cheap so be careful.
How to deodorize smelly TOMs Shoes
Stinky shoes are the worst. Fortunately, TOMs shoes can be deodorized quite easily with widely available ingredients. Just use half a cup of white vinegar to get rid of the smell. You can add the vinegar to the washer after you put in the detergent. Just use the regular clean cycle.
How to Dry
Definitely air dry your TOMs shoes. DO NOT use the dryer. If you have a cloths line, use it. Natural sunlight is great for drying. Alternatively, you can use a drying rack.
You can stuff hand towels in the shoes so that they don’t misshapen. However, don’t use things like newspaper because the ink can run when there is water.
How to wash by hand
Some people don’t have their own washing machine. If you don’t want to have to pay to wash a full load at a laundromat, washing by hand is definitely an option. There are other benefits of washing it by hand. Some people don’t like putting their shoes in washing machines. Others like to take great care with their personal belongings.
- A great and common item to use as a brush is a unused toothbrush. Use it to remove debris and other dirt. Be sure not to use the toothbrush to brush your teeth again.
- If the shoes are stained (such as with food), rub some mild laundry detergent on the stained areas and let it be for half an hour.
- Take a bowl filled with cold water and mix it with some mild laundry detergent. Mix it well. Definitely do not use bleach as it could affect the color.
- Use a soft brush to apply the mixture to your TOMs. Start scrubbing until the shoes are spotless.
- For leather shoes, use conditioner and polish directly after to prevent shoes from incidents in the future. It’s a bad idea to soak leather shoes.
How to clean tom insoles
It’s a good idea to occasionally clean the insoles of shoes. TOMs insoles are made from a range of materials. If your shoes are leather, skip this guide because using baking soda on leather can result in damage.
- Take a small bowl and mix it with just a drop of mild laundry detergent.
- Use a soft bristled toothbrush and scrub the insole of the shoes.
- Your insoles might be smelly as well. You can use a deodorizing powder to help. Take 1 cup of cornstarch, half a cup of baking soda and a half cup of baking powder.
- If you want them to smell pleasant, try using five drops of essential oils. There is a variety of scents available at most retailers, including tea tree and lavender.
- Sprinkle this powder into your shoes. You can store the rest of the mixture for the future.
- Don’t wear your shoes for eight hours.
TOMS shoes are great to have. Not only are they stylish, but they’re lightweight and durable. Fortunately, they’re easy to wash as well.